The Methodist missionaries who rode on horseback from South Carolina to establish the first religious organization in Tallahassee in 1824 are featured at the beginning of a timeline that tells the story of Trinity United Methodist Church. The mission church began on the fourth Sunday of September the same year the earliest settlers decided the village of Tallahassee should be the capital of the Territory of North Florida.
Trinity and Tallahassee Timelines
The timeline is featured in the Linda and Bob Yates Heritage Center on the third floor of Trinity Hall. The center is named in honor of the dedicated work and accomplishments of Bob and Linda who created a repository of artifacts and documents that is housed in the Trinity archives. The center is the culmination of efforts drawn from Bob’s architectural expertise and Linda’s knowledge, skills, and leadership in historical preservation. The display room was constructed in 2009 to document the church’s history as it parallels that of Tallahassee, through the difficult times of Indian, Civil, and World Wars, years of prosperity, depression, and peace. It depicts major events over the years and the pastors and members who offered their members and the community a unifying spiritual force in the new wilderness society. Begun by a group of 10 settlers, Trinity’s heritage began in 1824, and it includes a growing and serving congregation.
Trinity invites all interested persons to visit its Heritage Room. Please email Pamela Crosby ([email protected]) publications editor if you would like to visit the room.